7 Steps to a Fantastic 2017!
Wouldn’t it be great if you could send a tweet, post something on LinkedIn, send an email or make a phone call today and close a sale tomorrow? I think it would, but for most businesses that’s simply not the way it works. As an example, for me it typically takes between 4 and 6 months after I first contact someone before I get a check. It’s not a bad thing, it’s simply the way it is, and it’s important for me to know that so I can get paid consistently. You too.
In my world, from the time I first meet with a prospect until the time they become a client the average time is 8 weeks (Sometimes more, sometimes less, but 8 weeks is average). Clients don’t give me checks when we agree to do business. More “stuff” has to happen first. I’m often booked up between 12 and 16 weeks in advance so we have to schedule the training, taking into account my schedule and the sales rep’s schedules. I have to design the program, write the workbook, arrange travel (not always) and more. My client’s pay me before I do the workshop, but that still can be 4 to 6 months after first contact. That means if I don’t prospect today, I can’t get a check 4 to 6 months from today. And if I don’t prospect tomorrow, I can’t get a check 4 to 6 months from tomorrow. And so on, and so on. If you’re thinking like I’m thinking, this means that anyone I meet now, it’s likely I won’t see a check from them until December, January or February. The prospecting I did months ago is bringing results now and the prospecting I’m doing now is going to produce results in Q4 of this year or Q1 of 2017.
Want to make it a great 2017? PROSPECT NOW! And prospect consistently. As I write this, I’m feeling like I’m offering you the same message I’ve offered you before. I hope that’s okay with you, because it’s okay with me! And it’s okay with me because it’s crucial to your success.
In anything other than a highly transactional sale, for the most part your year has ended and you’re working on setting up 2017. That doesn’t mean you won’t close more business this year, you will if you laid the groundwork for it months ago, but it means if you want 2017 to be HUGE for you, you’ve got to get busy NOW.
Do you know your average sales cycle and how long it takes you to get paid? (You should) Do you know how much prospecting you have to do in order to see enough people to close enough business to achieve, and exceed, your goals? (You should)
Want 2017 to be better than 2016?
1) Set your financial goal for 2017 now.
2) Based on your metrics, figure out exactly how much prospecting you need to do to ensure you meet with enough prospects.
3) Develop a written plan for doing that amount of prospecting. (Don’t leave it to chance…work on it)
4) Whatever the plan is, put any needed activities on your calendar. (If it’s on your calendar it’s more likely to get done)
5) COMMIT to your plan and share your commitment with someone who will kick your ass if you don’t follow through.
6) Arrange a weekly accountability meeting with someone who will “hold your feet to the fire” and give you the kick in the ass you’ll need when you run out of steam. (We ALL do on occasion)
(FYI – I’m currently accepting 3 new private clients who I’ll be coaching and holding accountable on a weekly or bi-weekly basis – email me at Jeff@YESecenter.com if you want details)
7) Stay positive and do what you know you need to do.
It’s not rocket science. If it was, I couldn’t do it. You CAN do it…it’s takes more than luck, though. With some thought and some effort, you can create a fantastically successful 2017.